Editing support

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:05 AM

We are thinking about to propose Gepsio in an Open Source Project for XBRL, but we have some questions. 

- Do you have any functionality list?

- More important question.  Has Gepsio editing support?  Can you create new objects set in memory and render it to XBRL file, or you only can load a XBRL file?

Thank you

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM
Hello, cristobalsr! Let me answer both of your questions:

1. I don't have a formal list of functionality, though the functionality in each CTP can be deduced from the XBRL Conformance Suite tests that it passed. If you can give an example of the kind of information for which you are looking, I can try and create one. I will do my best to provide a functionality list in future releases. Good suggestion!

2. Today, Gepsio has no editing support, though I definitely plan to add that in the future. My plan is to get Gepsio fully working and compliant with the XBRL Conformance Suite in a read-only fashion. Doing that first will allow me to be confident that I have all of the classes and properties that I need to fully support an XBRL document. Once that is in place, I would like to turn the read-only properties into read-write properties, allowing developer to build XBRL documents on the fly using .NET objects and calling something like Save() on an XbrlDocument instance. That Save() method would do all of the work of turning those classes into a valid XBRL document on disk. There is nothing in the design that would prevent Gepsio from being a "read/write" XBRL product ... I just haven't gotten there yet. It's definitely on the list of things to do. I will do my best to make an announcement when I am ready to do that.

Thank you for considering Gepsio.